Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Fluff Reading and Traumatic Watching

* I've been immersed in Janet Evanovich these past couple of weeks. I'm on book 3 in her Stephanie Plum series, and while I'm enjoying the books tremendously, I'm going to have to take a break after this one and read something a bit more substantial.

* Besides The Sunday Salon, Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books and the Book Review Carnival are a couple of great places to find new titles. I add a few new items to my TBR list through those sources.

* We saw a book-to-movie today: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It was terribly disappointing for anyone who is a true Narnia fan. I will never understand why movies have to be such tremendous deviations from books. I just don't get it. On the bright side, my kids (10 and 13) did like the movie. We just finished re-reading the book on Friday, but they weren't traumatized by the movie like I was. I actually was envisioning myself ripping the screen to shreds. Then again, I've been reading this book for over 30 years. They've only heard it twice.

* Next on my list is Sara Gruen's Ape House. I've read a couple of bad reviews, so I'm not feeling terribly excited about it. But I sure did love Water for Elephants.

2 comments:

Sycorax Pine said...

I had a similar reaction to the first film, of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, I have to admit. So I never went back to watch the subsequent ones. In fact, the film almost made me wonder whether the books (rather than being magical and filled with folk culture richness, as I remembered them from my childhood) were more openly manipulative than I remembered them being. I haven't had the guts yet to reread and find out.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Why are movies-made-from-books always disappointing to me? Most of these I refuse to see.