Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Book Review: Sonshine Girls #1: Summer Secret

My daughter and I were excited to receive a review copy of the first in this series by Rene Morris. At eleven, my daughter is the perfect audience for this book, and she absolutely devoured it. The book centers on four 13 year-old girls who face typical struggles: friendship, bullies, a yearning for independence, learning self-sufficiency, facing identity and self-image issues, etc. But I love this book because it is totally clean and appropriate for my daughter. I don't want books that focus on drugs, sex, and crime among young teens; she'll get plenty of that later (much later). Right now the Sonshine Girls series, which has a strong Christian theme, is a perfect fit.

My daughter and I always have one read-aloud together book going in the evenings, but she couldn't resist stealing this one away to bed with her and reading it on her own. She had to fill me in on the details later. She is waiting patiently for the next books in the series to be published! If you know a girl who enjoys Anne of Green Gables, the Little House series, the Mandi series and the Christy books, she will love the Sonshine Girls!

6 comments:

J.N. Future Author said...

i'v never read that....but im not a girl - so i may not like it....

* said...

i so need to borrow girls from time to time!
by the way, i read lives of girls and women as my first alice munro novel ... hard remembering what else has been in my head.
one of my other favourite novels of all time was stone angel

crochet lady said...

I am a children's librarian and I love to read. Thanks for sharing your love of reading! It's great to see those kids reading!

wisteria said...

Congratulations Sarah....You won something for your hard work. Go to my blog to see what.
Wisteria @ Bookworm's Dinner

SJR said...

What a great blog! I am happy I stumbled across it! =)

fantasiabooks said...

Hey great blog..I hope this book for girls will be great..I will definitely like to buy one.