Saturday, September 27, 2008

Sunday Scribbling #130: Weddings


Today's Sunday Scribblings prompt is weddings. The Scribblings are supposed to be about my writing, I know, but today I'm sharing my writing heritage instead. My father wrote this poem for my mother on their 50th anniversary. I can't think of a more beautiful tribute to weddings.

Always Twenty-One

You are still in my heart's eye that golden girl in white,
You're walking down the aisle
into my heart,
Still that lovely girl in white
coming to me down the aisle.

In my mind I know we've had these years together,
I know the storms we've shared,
the joys we've shared,
these many years we've shared—
And yet,
And yet you're still that golden girl in white
who's coming down the aisle
into my heart.

My heart's eye cannot see the years behind us,
My heart's eye looks on you and sees again
the golden girl you were
and still are in my heart,
My golden girl who's always twenty-one.

~James N. Cummins, 1998


I still cry every time I read it. As a footnote, my parents just celebrated their 60th anniversary last month, 8/8/08.


(Read more Sunday Scribblings on weddings.)

11 comments:

susan said...

Wow, sixty years. I bet you're mom had tears in her eyes, too, when he read it. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this very beautiful moment with us...

MY SS post

Overeducated Twit said...

Wow. Stories like that make it a little harder to be cynical about romance. Lovely poem, and congrats to them for 60 years. That's impressive!

Maree Jones said...

Oh, that's so sweet. I can feel my cynicism melting away...at least for the next 30 seconds!

GreenishLady said...

That is so lovely. The tenderness and gentleness of your Dad's words... Aaaah!

Anonymous said...

So romantic! Thanks for sharing...

Linda Jacobs said...

Gotta love a man who writes poetry! As your mom certainly knows, he's a keeper!

Patois42 said...

That brings such tears to my eyes. Gorgeous. How very nice of you to share it with us.

Roan said...

What a romantic father you have. No wonder they've made it 60 years. Wow! BJ

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delightful.

Melody said...

Thank you for sharing the poem and pictures, what a special gift you have. Beautiful.