Saturday, November 28, 2009

Weekly Geeks: Top Ten Published in 2009


The most recent Weekly Geeks challenge is to come up with a Top 10 of 2009 list. These have to be books actually published—not just read—in 2009. My choices were limited, as apparently I've only read six books published thus far in 2009. However, I will say that the first 3 will almost definitely make it to my own Top 10 books read in this year. (I only included four of the six 2009 books I read because the other two should absolutely not make anyone's lists of Top 10 books.)


1. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (my review here): This fantastic novel that stretches across several years and continents will most likely be my #1 book of the year.

2. Day After Night by Anita Diamant (my review here): Historical, World War 2 fiction.

3. Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dalls (my review here): Sweet, uplifting book but packed with interesting details about life in Colorado in the early 1900s.

4. The Outcast by Sadie Jones (my review here): Well-written debut novel, mostly post WW2.

This list will likely have at least a couple of additions before the year ends. I just started reading Barbara Kingsolver's The Lacuna last night, and I am anxiously awaiting my copy of John Irving's Last Night in Twisted River. Two of my favorite authors showing up at the end of the year: wow!

For more Top 10 Published in 2009 lists, check out Weekly Geeks.

4 comments:

Greg Zimmerman said...

1. This Is Where I Leave You, Jonathan Tropper.
2. Zeitoun, Dave Eggers
3. The Song Is You, Arthur Phillips
3. Cutting For Stone, Abraham Verghese
5. Last Night In Twisted River, John Irving
6. Sag Harbor, Colson Whitehead
7. The Believers, Zoe Heller

(That's all I've got for now - maybe Under The Dome will join this list when I finish it...)

Literary Feline said...

I'm enjoying reading everyone's lists. Cutting Stone is one I really want to read one of these days. And Anita Diamant's latest--I love her writing.

I just got a copy of Prayers for Sale for my mother-in-law for Christmas and I'm sure she'll love it.

gautami tripathy said...

I like Gregs' list too!

Weekly Geeks: Top Books of 2009

Megan @ Book Club Guide said...

Great list. Wasn't Cutting for Stone amazing, it made my list too! I'm also interested in reading the new B. Kingsolver, she is a wonderful writer.