Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Sunday Salon: November in Review

It's not been a fabulous reading month. I had to take at least 2 books back to the library, overdue, that I really wanted to read. I spent too much time on books that were only so-so or that I gave up on. I'm hoping for better things for December!

Read and Reviewed
Road to Paris by Nikki Grimes (YA): Review here
Chocolat by Joanne Harris: Review here
Children of the River by Linda Crew (YA): Review here
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie : Review here

Books Read but not yet reviewed:
Maus 1: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman

Books I Gave Up On
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson: I enjoyed the first 50 pages or so, but ultimately I tired of it.
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson: I lasted about 5 pages. I was annoyed that someone who knew nothing about hiking could go out and buy all the equipment he could possibly want and need. I know so many people for whom hiking the Appalachian Trail is a lifetime dream; Bryson's "Hey, I think I'll hike the AT" seemed like a luxury pursuit to me. Anyway, John Krakauer is just soooo much better of this kind of writer.

Now Reading
Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver

Where I Played
Weekly Geeks: Top 10 Books Published in 2009
Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books

Reading Related
Christmas Books That Make Me Cry

Exciting News
Anita Diamant commented on my blog!

And that's it for November. I'm looking forward to fabulous reading in December!

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oh dear, I loved Gilead AND A Walk in the Woods. Different strokes, right?