Thursday, July 3, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Holiday

btt button

Today's Booking Through Thursday asks:

It’s a holiday weekend here in the U.S., so let’s keep today’s question simple–What are you reading? Anything special? Any particularly juicy summer reading?

Yesterday I finished reading Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri. (My review is here.) It was simply stunning. I should be getting Lahiri's The Namesake in the mail today or tomorrow, courtesy of PaperbackSwap, so I choose a short book to read in between Lahiri: Briar Rose by Jane Yolen. Natasha at Maw Books gave a great review of it here.

The rest of the summer I plan to tackle my Ever-Growing TBR List and also pick books and do my own short Life Books Challenge. In early August we go on vacation for 10 days or so, and that's when I'll likely get the bulk of my summer reading done. I can usually finish a book every day or so, but this year we'll be helping my parents pack up their entire house life to move down here, so I might have to slack off a bit!

3 comments:

S. Krishna said...

Oh, I've been wanting to read Unaccustomed Earth! The Namesake is also on my TBR pile - I've tried to start it numerous times and just couldn't get into it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Unaccustomed Earth was simply beautiful, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! The Namesake is fantastic, though I do prefer Lahiri's short fiction--she's just so good at it. Enjoy!

Julia said...

Going to have to put Unaccustomed Earth to my TBR pile..it sound like something to read!

Have a good and fun trip on your vacation, happy reading!