Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Ever-Growing TBR List

Nearly all of these suggestions have come from book blogs, Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books, The Sunday Salon posts, and Sonlight's bibliovores lists. I've only just begun to note where I've read the review. If you've reviewed any of these books on your blog, feel free to post a comment with the link and I'll add it to my list.
*Indicates books added in 2009.

A Country Doctor’s Casebook by R. MacDonald
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
by D. Eggers
All Good Gifts
by Kathleen Morgan (my 2009 review here)
Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler (my 2008 review here)
*Annie's Ghosts: A Journey into a Family Secret by Steve Luxenberg.
Aprons on a Clothesline by T. DePree
Arctic Dreams
by Barry Lopez
Arctic Homestead
by Cobb
Atonement by Ian McEwan (my 2008 review here)
Beautiful Boy by David Sheff
Behind the Burqa by Sulima and Hala (reviewed by Semicolon)
Birth House
by Amy McKay (my 2008 review here)
Black, White and Red trilogy
by Ted Dekker
Bless Your Heart, Tramp
by Celia Rivenbark
Blood Hollow
by W. Krueger
Blood of Flowers
by A. Amirrezvani
Blood Work
by M Connelly
Blue Ridge by TR Pearson (my 2008 review here)
*Bonesetter's Daughterby Amy Tan (my 2009 review here)
Book of a Thousand Days by S. Hale (reviewed on Semicolon and Maw Books)
Book of Lost Things by J. Connelly
Bookseller of Kabul by A. Seierstad (my 2009 review here and reviewed on Semicolon)
Bootletter’s Daughter by M. Maron
Born on a Blue Day by D. Tammet (reviewed on Sam’s Book Blog)
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Capote
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen
(Reviewed here in 2008 at SmallWorld Reads and at Maw Books)
Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo (Reviewed at Bookstack)
Bright Side of Disaster by Katherine Center (reviewed by CaribousMom)
Buffalo Soldier by C. Bohjalian
Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway
(my 2008 review here)
Child of My Heart
by Alice McDermott (reviewed by Educating Petunia and here in 2008 on SmallWorld Reads)
Commoner by J.B. Schwarz
Confederates in the Attic (reviewed by Semicolon)
Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman (reviewed by Literary Feline)
Conversations with a Fat Girl by Liza Palmer (recommended by Kristina; my 2009 review here)
*Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (my review here and reviewed at The Book Lady's Blog)
Dancing Under the Red Star by K. Tobien (my review here)
*The Dawning of the Day: A Jerusalem Tale by Haim Sabato (reviewed at Fresh Ink Books)
Dear Enemy by Jack Cavanagh
Death in the Family
by James Agee (my 2008 review here)
Death’s Acre by William M. Bass
Dedication by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Strauss
(My 2009 review here; Reviewed by Bookstack)
Departed, The by K. Mackel
*Diary, The by Eileen Goudge (Reviewed at Lesa's Book Critiques)
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Dinner with a Perfect Stranger by D. Gregory
Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (my review here)
*Dough: A Memoir by Mort Zachter (reviewed by Lisa at 5 Minutes for Books)
Eat, Pray, Love by E. Gilbert (reviewed by Maw Books)
Echo Maker by R. Powers
(Reviewed by me here in 2008 and reviewed by CaribousMom)
Elizabeth and Her German Garden by Elizabeth von Arnim (reviewed by Musings)
Executioner's Song by Mailer
*Extraordinary Journey of a Desert Nomad by Waris Darie (reviewed at Maw Books)
Family Nobody Wanted by Doss
Fatal Vision by J. McGinnis
Five People You Meet in Heaven
by Mitch Albom (my review here)
Flowers by D. Gilb
Fortune Cookie Chronicles by J. Lee
Franklin and Lucy by Joseph Persico (reviewed by A Bookworm's Dinner and Ex Libris)
*German Woman, The by Paul Griner (reviewed at Bookworm's Diner)
Ghost Map
by S. Jackson
Ghost Writer, The by J. Harwood
Gilead by M. Robinson (reviewed by Semicolon)
Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary (my 2009 review here)
Girl in Hyacinth Blue
by S. Vreeland (my review here)
The Girls by Lori Lansens (Reviewed on Reading, Writing, and Retirement)
**The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen (reviewed at Lesa's Book Critiques)
Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson (reviewed by Clare at Blue Archipelago)
Giving Up the Ghost by Hilary Mantel (reviewed by Harriet Devine)
Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton (reviewed by Caribous Mom)

God Is the Gospel by J. Piper
Gods and Kings series
by Lynn Austin
Gods in Alabama
by J. Jackson (my review here)
*Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel by Jeannette Walls (reviewed by Wisteria)
Half of a Yellow Sun by C. Adichie (my 2008 review here and reviewed by CaribousMom)
Hava: The Story of Eve
by Tosca Lee (added 1/09; reviewed by My Friend Amy)
Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
by D. Eggers
Heaven
by R. Alcorn
*Her Fearful Symmetry: A Novel by Audrey Niffenegger (my review here)
*The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (reviewed by Gautami at Reading Room)
High House, The
by James Stoddard
Hiroshima
by John Hershey
Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan C. Bartoletti (reviewed by Natasha at Maw Books)
Hot Zone by R. Preston (reviewed by Semicolon)
House at Riverton
by K. Morton (my 2008 review here and reviewed by CaribousMom)
How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen (mentioned by The Magic Lasso)
Human Cargo by C. Moorehead
Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan (reviewed at These Words)
I Am Scout by Charles J. Shields (reviewed by Becky)
I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia B-Jackson (my review here)
In Country by Bobbie Ann Mason
Iris and Ruby by Rosie Thomas
Ishmael
by E. Southwark
Keeping the House
by E. Baker
Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain (my 2009 review here)
Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones (reviewed by Bookeywookey)
Last Days of Summer by Steve Kluger (reviewed at Thoughts of Joy)
Last Storyteller by D. Noble
Leave it to Claire
by T. Bateman
Left To Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza (reviewed at Maw Books and Just a Reading Fool)
Liar's Club by Mary Karr (my review here)
Liar’s Diary by P. Francis (reviewed by Semicolon)
Life Among Savages
by Shirley Jackson (reviewed at Dwell in Possibility)
Life Is So Good
by R. Glaubman
Little Altars Everywhere
by R. Wells
*Little Giant of Aberdeen County
by Tiffany Baker (Reviewed at Maw Books)
Living End
by L. Samson
A Long, Long Time Ago and Essentially True by Brigid Pasulka (reviewed at The Lost Entwife)
Lost Children of Wilder by N. Bernstein
Loving Frank by N. Horan
Mad Girls in Love by M. West
Made in the U.S.A. by Billie Letts (My review here)
Man without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut
Many Sleepless Nights
by Lee Gutkind
Margaret’s Peace (Place??)
by Linda Hall
Mariner's Compass
by E. Fowler
Marley and Me
by J. Grogan
Martyr’s Song
by T. Dekker
Mater Biscuit
by J. Cannon
Mercy Falls
by WK Krueger
Minding the South
by J. Reed
Moloka’I
by A. Brennert
*Monique and the Mango Rains by Kris Holloway (Reviewed at The Bluestocking Society)
More Than You Know by Beth Gutcheon (my 2008 review here)
Mudbound by Hillary Jordan (Reviewed by Just Another Blogger)
My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier (Reviewed by Reading to Know)
Namesake, The by Jhumpa Lahiri (My 2008 review here)
Never Let Me Go by K. Ishiguro (reviewed by Semicolon)
Not without My Daughter
by B. Mahmoody
Notes from a Small Island
by Bill Bryson
*Olive Kitteridge
by Elizabeth Strout (reviewed at Book Club Classics)
Omnivore’s Daughter
by M Pollan
On Agate Hill by Lee Smith
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan (my 2008 review here; reviewed on The BlueStocking Society)
Only True Genius in the Family by Jennie Nash (reviewed by Natasha at Maw Books)
Other Boleyn Girl, The by P Gregory
Other Side of the Bridge
by Mary Lawson (My 2009 review here)
Other Voices, Other Rooms
by Truman Capote
The Outcast
by Sadie Jones (reviewed by Gautami at Reading Room, my review here)
Papua New Guinea: Notes from a Spinning Planet
by M. Carlson (reviewed by Clean Reads)
Paula by I. Allende (my 2009 review here)
People of the Book by G. Brooks (my review here, and reviewed by Caribous Mom and at The Magic Lasso)
Perfect Example by John Porcellino (reviewed at The Hidden Side of the Leaf)
Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (my 2009 review here)
*Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas (my review here; reviewed at Lesa's Book Critiques)
*Promise Not To Tell by Jennifer McMahon (reviewed at Missy's Book Nook)
Property by Valerie Martin (reviewed by The Magic Lasso)
Purple Hibiscus by C. Ngozi Adichie (reviewed by CaribousMom)
Quaker Summer
by Lisa Samson
Queen of the Big Time
by A. Trigiani
Quilter’s Apprentice
by J. Chiaverini
Raising Demons
by Shirley Jackson
Rise and Shine
by Anna Quindlen
Rises the Night
by C. Gleason
River King, The by Alice Hoffman (my 2008 review here)
River Wife, The by Agee
Road, The
by C. McCarthy (my 2009 review here)
Ruined by Reading: A Life in Books
by Lynne Schwartz (reviewed on Shelf Life)
Rumspringa
by Shactman
Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall
Saffron Kitchen, The
by Y. Crowther
Sailing Alone Around the Room by Billy Collins (reviewed by Just a Reading Fool)
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (my 2009 review here; recommended by Gautami at Reading Room)
Saving Levi Left to Die
by Lisa Bently
Secret Between Us
by B. Delinsky (my review here)
**Secret of Everything
by Barbara O'Neal (reviewed on Lesa's Book Critiques)
Senator's Wife, The
by Sue Miller (SmallWorld review here; reviewed by Insatiable Reader)
Sentimental, Heartbroken Rednecks by Greg Bottoms (Reviewed by Sage)
Seven Loves by Trueblood
Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene Spencer (Reviewed here in 2008 at SmallWorld Reads, reviewed at Maw Books, reviewed at Nonfiction Lover )
Short Guide to a Happy Life by A. Quindlen (my 2009 review here)
Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian (my review here and reviewed at The Magic Lasso)
* Someone Named Eva by Joan M. Wolf (reviewed at Maw Books)
Song of the Cuckoo Bird by Amulya Malladi
Song Yet Sung
by James McBride
Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan
Soon to Be a Major Motion Picture by Donna Partow
Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down
by Anne Fadiman
Stillwater
by William Weld
Stoner
by John Williams (suggested by JoAnn at Every Day Matters)
Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank
by Celia Rivenbark (my review here)
Summer Crossing
by Truman Capote (reviewed by CaribousMom)
Summerland
by M. Cabon
Sweet Potato Queen
by J. Browne
Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas (reviewed by me here in 2008 and by Lesa at Lesa's Book Critiques)
Tea Rose, The
Teahouse Fire, The
by Ellis Avery
Stones Cry Out
by M Szymusiak
There Are No Children Here
by A. Kotlowitz
Things Fall Apart
by Chinua Achebe (my review here)
Things I Overheard While Talking to Myself
by Alan Alda
*Thirteen Reasons Why
by Jay Asher (reviewed at Gautami's Reading Room)
This Boy's Life
by Tobias Wolff
Thousand Years of Good Prayers
by Yiyun Li
Three Cups of Tea
by G. Mortenson
To My Senses
by A. Weis (reviewed by J. Kaye)
Tomorrow, the River by D. Gray
Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur
by D. Hari (reviewed by CaribousMom and Maw Books)
Trauma and Ghost Town by P. McGrath
Twilight
by S. Meyer (reviewed here in 2008 at SmallWorld, reviewed by Semicolon)
Unbearable Lightness of Being by Kundera
Uprising
by Margaret Haddix (reviewed by Semicolon)
Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton (reviewed by Kinnic Reads)
*Well and the Mine, The by Gin Phillips (reviewed by Semicolon)
*What I Though I Knew by Alice Eve Cohen
What Is What by D. Eggers (reviewed at Maw Books)
What Peace There May Be by Susanna Brarlow
What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn (Reviewed at Big A, Little A)
When I Lay My Isaac Down by C. Kent
Whistling in the Dark
by L. Kagen
Who Killed My Daughter by Lois Duncan (Reviewed at Nonfiction Lover)
Winter Seeking by V. Wright
Winter Walk
by L. Cox
Winter Wheat
by Margaret Walker (my 2008 review here)
Women of the Silk
by G. Tsuriyama
Year of Living Biblically
by AJ Jacobs (reviewed by Andi Lit)
Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon (reviewed by The Magic Lasso)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have got some great books on that list! Of your list these are the ones that I am hoping to read this year as well:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by D. Eggers
Quilter’s Apprentice by J.Chiaverini
Purple Hibiscus by C. Ngozi Adichie
Three Cups of Tea by G. Mortenson
Born on a Blue Day by D. Tammet
I Have Lived a Thousand Years by Livia B-Jackson

I've reviewed quite a few as well:
http://blog.mawbooks.com/2008/03/05/book-of-a-thousand-days-by-shannon-hale/
http://blog.mawbooks.com/2008/02/29/eat-pray-love-by-elizabeth-gilbert/
http://blog.mawbooks.com/2008/03/12/left-to-tell-discovering-god-amidst-the-rwandan-holocaust/
http://blog.mawbooks.com/2008/01/28/if-you-read-only-one-book-this-year-let-it-be-this-one/ (What is the What)

Sherry said...

Reviews:

Behind the Burqa
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=1146

Book of a Thousand Days
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=2440

Bookseller of Kabul
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=2470

Confederates in the Attic
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=1099

GIlead
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=678

Hot Zone
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=2047

The Liar's Diary
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=1905

Never Let Me Go
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=1521

Twilight
http://www.semicolonblog.com/?p=2442

I read The Family Nobody Wanted when I was a kid of a girl and it was a favorite. I haven't thought about that book in years, but it brings back a smile.

I started A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and hated it.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Thanks for the links, Natasha and Sherry!

Wendy said...

Nice list - I've reviewed those below (with links to my reviews):

Half of A Yellow Sun
Purple Hibiscus
Summer Crossing
The House At Riverton
The Echo Maker
The Translator: A Tribesman's Memoir of Darfur

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Thanks, Wendy!

Eileen said...

I rarely do reviews, but I will tell you what books from your list I have read AND loved:

Dear Enemy (didn't love but liked a lot)

Family Nobody Wanted - my favorite book EVER! I own 3 or 4 copies. Read it for the first time in grade school and probably 30 times since.

Leave It to Claire

Liar's Diary

Living End

Margaret's Peace

Other Side of the Bridge

Quaker Summer

Winter Wheat

There are other books on there I've read and did not like, and quite a few are also on my TBR list.

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

Here's my review of Rumspringa: To Be Or Not To Be Amish by Tom Shachtman

Giddy said...

Hi Sarah. Giedra here. I knew you had a blog, but I had never really read it until today. (I came to it from the Randy Landry post on Facebook...and read just about everything, and then clicked over to the book site....)

I don't think I read as much as you do even though I read more than most people, but I have definitely been reading a lot more than I used to, mainly since joining a book club and fitting lots of extra books in around the chosen books. (I always want to read the ones that were rejected when we give each other choices....)

I've been posting my reviews on the GoodReads website. Are you familiar with that? Check it out at www.goodreads.com--you become a member and get hooked up with all your friends, so you can automatically see what everyone is reading and read their reviews or those of complete random people. You may not find it necessary since you have this outlet already--then again, there are some nice features that a blog doesn't have. Anyway, I've got a handful of reviews on there, plus that's where I keep my list of books to read. (You get to "shelve" your books as "read" or "to-read" or in other categories of your choosing.)

My favorite book read in 2008 so far has been Gilead (M. Robinson). My book club read it before I joined the club, and it was obvious to me that most of the members did not like it--which naturally made me want to read it. (Plus I trust the opinion of the one friend who did like it more than that of the others.) So it's the subject of a lot of gentle ribbing at our meetings--and it was fun to announce the release of the sequel to the group to watch them get nervous that they might ahve to read it. I'm looking forward to it, anyway.

Anyway, I loved reading your blog and now that I use a feed reader I will be able to keep up!! I have started a handful of blogs but never keep them up.

I'm looking forward to seeing you at Homecoming (even though I'm half-dreading it, too, since I won't be able to share in all the reminiscing).

XOX

Laura said...

I like your list! I have a few of the same on my TBR list:
The House at Riverton
Marley & Me
The Saffron Kitchen
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

Hava said...

Wowsers! I thought my TBR list was bad! LOL!

I saw you linked to me a couple of different places, which was SUPER nice of you. There were a couple of other reviews that you missed though. They are:

Not Without My Daughter
Marley and Me
Three Cups of Tea <--I don't know if this one counts, because it was a "welcome to my blog" post plus a quick review of Three Cups. If you don't think it works, I won't be offended, promise. ;-)

I am off to read your review of Shattered Dreams. I like reading reviews of the books I've read, to see if I agree with their assessment or not.

Talk to you later!

Havs

PS Are you interested in being interviewed on my site? I am interviewing book bloggers, and I'd really enjoy interviewing you. If you're interested, check out my post on it. Thanks! :-) [And this goes for any other book bloggers who might be reading this - I would love to have you spotlighted on my site!]