Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Life Books Challenge

(This is a sticky post. Please scroll down for exciting new SmallWorld Reads posts!!)


Who doesn't have a list of favorite books? Chances are, those books are favorites because they tell a universal truth, and, most likely, because they say something about you. This challenge is in three parts.

Part I: Choose Your Life Books
What are the books that, in some aspect, define you? Think about who you are in terms of spirituality, love, economics, values, worldview--the list could go on and on. These might be nonfiction, self-help, fiction, picture books, children's books, etc. These don't have to be the best books ever written; concentrate on pinpointing books that are significant to you. Give us your life in books. To see my example, click here. After you've picked your life books, write a post and leave the link on Mr. Linky. Be sure to copy and paste the icon above on your blog somewhere!

Part II: Discover Something New
Check out the blogs of other participants and find at least two titles to add to your TBR list. (If you are near the top of the participants' list, be sure to come back in a few days and check out the new postings.) Let us know what books you are adding by linking a second time to Mr. Linky with (Something New) by your name. That'll let readers know to go back and read your new post.

Part III: Read the Books
When you've read the new books, write a review and leave a link to your post in the comments. I'll create a new post with all the reviews listed.

Timeline: I've decided to make this without a time-line. Anytime you want to join in and read the books, just sign up and finish when you can!

Spread the Word: Let your blog readers know about the Life Books Challenge so they can ponder their existence, too! Just grab the button and use it on your post and/or your sidebar and link back here.

And so the challenge in short (this is the part you copy on your blog!):
Part I: Choose Your Life Books
What are the books that, in some aspect, define you? Think about who you are in terms of spirituality, love, economics, values, worldview--the list could go on and on. These might be nonfiction, self-help, fiction, picture books, children's books, etc. Give us your life in books. To see my example, click here. After you've picked your life books, write a post and leave the link on Mr. Linky. Be sure to copy and paste the button above on your blog somewhere!

Part II: Discover Something New
Check out the blogs of other participants and find at least two titles to add to your TBR list. Let us know what books you are adding by linking a second time to Mr. Linky with (Something New) by your name.

Part III: Read the Books
When you've read the new books, write a review and leave a link to your post in the comments here.


So do some pondering, mull it over, and make your lists. Let's find out more about each other!

21 comments:

Wendy said...

Does this challenge have a start and end date? I'll post it on A Novel Challenge Blog for you, but wanted to make sure I got the timeline right.

Becky said...

I have just a quick question. Do the 2 new books we discover come from other participants Life Book Lists? Or just from participants blogs in general?

I'm *thinking* about joining. But I'm going to think about what my books would be and how much time I'll have before committing to anything.

Anonymous said...

Becky--the books would come from other participants' Life Books lists. Thanks for asking for clarification!

Wendy--the challenge starts now and ends Sept. 30.

anno said...

Interesting challenge! I'm thinking about it...

Kristi said...

I'm intrigued, but Life Books will take some thought. I'll return after thinking for a bit...;>).

Sarah said...

This sounds like a really neat challenge! I think the challenge for me will be narrowing down my potential list of life books to the core ones that I feel are most defining.

jessi said...

I don't think Mr. Linky likes me; I'm having trouble signing up. I'm still working on my Life Books list. :)

Anonymous said...

Anno, Kristi, Sarah--hope you join!! It does take a lot of pondering! Jessi--if you can't get Mr. Linky to work, just leave your link in the comments!

jessi said...

It worked that time! I finally came up with my list - I'm really excited about this challenge! :) When do you want us to decide what two books we're going to read? Do we just have until the end of September to decide and read them?

Kathleen said...

This sounds interesting but I'm confused on part 3. Are we reading just our books we picked for our list or do we have to read the two books we added to our TBR list too by Sept. 30?

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Jessi and Callista--yes, scout out books from other participants' lists and read those. The idea is to add something to your reading list that made a difference or was essential in someone else's life. Thanks for playing along!!

Unknown said...

Hi, I have a favor, would you tell me how you do a sticy post????
Email me at sassylucylootoo(at)yahoo(dot)com
Would make keeping giveaways atthe top easier. Thanks.

Amy said...

Ok...I am pondering my list but I have already found the ones I would like to read!

I will be back to add to Mr. Linky when I get my list posted.

Marbel said...

Hmm... thinking about it. I failed my first reading challenge miserably but I like the idea of thinking of my life books.

* said...

how do you know how to do all this stuff? I totally thought you were just a pretty face ...
k

* said...

I totally want to do this but at the moment it hurts my head. Can't I just tell you in person?

Sandy said...

OK, I've posted my list. Apparently, I was born to teach Kindergarten.

washwords said...

okay! I posted my list and for part ii (sneak preview), I will read two classics I've never read from your fantabulous lists....

1) "A tree grows in Brooklyn" - thanks, Becky.

and 2) "The Jungle" thanks Jessye!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Great idea!

I'm really busy for the next week but if it is okay, I'll come back then and think of books to post.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I must have missed it the first time around. I'll think about this more this week.

Colleen said...

I love love love this idea. Sorry I'm joining a little late.

http://colleen213.blogspot.com/2008/09/life-books-challenge-my-life-books.html