Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Sunday Salon: October in Review

Books Read in October
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian: (Sherman Alexie) I haven't reviewed this one yet but it was fantastic.
The Girl Who Stopped Swimming: (Joshilyn Jackson) I have about 2 chapters left in this one, and I stayed up way too late last night reading it!
Arctic Homestead: (Norma Cobb) The journey of a homesteading family in Alaska.
Breath, Eyes, Memory: (Edwidge Dandicat) Three generations of Haitian women battle tradition and painful memories.
Like Water for Chocolate: (Laura Esquival) Food, romance, magical realism—a fun book of the power of love and food.


Favorite Book of the Month
I think it's going to be Sherman Alexie's autiobiographical, young adult novel. Absolutely loved it.


Books Read to the Kids
The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis


Up Next
When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park
Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok


Movies From Books Watched
The Last Song (don't judge me! I watched it with my teen-aged daughter, and I got a little weepy!)


Books Added to My Ever-Growing TBR List
Barefoot in Baghdad by Manal M. Omar (reviewed at Bookworm's Dinner)
Every Last One by Anna Quindlen (Reviewed at S. Krishna's Books)
Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok (Reviewed at Books and Movies)
Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore (recommended by a friend while waiting in a funeral line and by Stray Thoughts)
A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay
Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain (recommended at Musings)

3 comments:

Marjorie/cenya2 said...

Girl in Translations is a wonderful read and I am looking forward to your review.

Alex said...

I also am looking forward to reading When My Name was Keoko, it looks so interesting so I will be curious to see what you think of it.

Barbara H. said...

Thanks for the mention! Hope you enjoy Same Kind of Different As Me. You have quite an eclectic list there.