Monday, September 15, 2008

Weekly Geeks Quote #3

"Oh, magic hour, when a child first knows she can read printed words!"

~Betty Smith, author of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

My quotes today for the Weekly Geeks Quote Week are inspired by my newest nearly fluent reader. Duncan at seven is reading better every day, and it is such a joy to sit beside him as he progresses and gains confidence in his reading ability. I remember hearing from people that one of the biggest joys of homeschooling came at the moment when you realize "My child can read, and I taught him/her!" I must admit I scoffed at that because I didn't teach my oldest to read, as he went to public school for kindergarten and first grade. (Of course, we had been reading aloud to him since literally the day we brought him home from the hospital.) I didn't feel as if I'd really missed anything. But…I did teach my next two to read at home, and, indeed, I find tremendous joy in knowing that I helped open up new worlds for them by teaching them to read. A bit of patting oneself on the back, to be sure.

And since today he was reading Arnold Lobel's Mouse Soup, I thought I'd include this Lobel quote, too:

Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky.
My pile of books
Are a mile high.
How I love them!
How I need them!
I'll have a long beard
By the time I read them.
~ Arnold Lobel ~


Weekly Geeks Quote #2 here.
Weekly Geeks Quote #1 here.

No comments: