Monday, January 15, 2007

Book Review: The Pact

The Pact is my first Jodi Picoult book, and I have to say I could hardly put it down. It was one of those books that you think, "I really should not be reading this highly disturbing book," and yet....I had to. I even read during the daytime when I should have been being a productive member of this household, which I never, ever do. I like books in which the characters are easily accessible, even if they are somewhat formulaic (the cold, hard MD married to the kind and laid back mom vs. the laid-back veterinarian married to the cold and distant mom). The story itself is pure tragedy: one teenager dead, and her boyfriend left holding the gun--supposedly a botched double suicide. The novel itself is the story of their lifetime together and the year that follows her death. Disturbing, well-written, fast read.

No comments: