Friday, February 13, 2009

Book Review: Dedication

I loved The Nanny Diaries, written by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus in 2002. I had high hopes for Dedication, and, while I enjoyed it, it didn't come close to The Nanny Diaries for me. The story: Kate and Jake were high school sweethearts. Jake leaves Kate without a word and becomes a famous rockstar, but all his songs are about Kate. A decade later, Kate finally has her chance to confront Jake, and of course finds out that he loved her all along and all that.

This book has its moments. Anyone who has ever wished they could go back in time and figure out what exactly went wrong in a relationship can relate to Kate and Jake, although most of us don't have exes who are famous musicians. But the whole book was just too fast and breezy for me. The dialog was too choppy and tried to hard to be clever. I get tired when I have to keep up with so much wit.

So, it's okay. It would be a fun beach read—an in-between read for when you need something not very deep, or when you are feeling quick enough for snappy conversation.

Other reviews of Dedication:
The Friendly Book Nook
Bookstack

1 comment:

Amy said...

thanks for the link. :) (Friendly Book Nook)

I also thought the book was okay enjoyable, but so far it seems The Nanny Diaries will be their masterpiece.