Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Sunday Salon: Mid-year Review

So far this year I've read 23 books and have (thus far) reviewed 19 of them. I've also read another half-dozen or so juvenile fiction books with the kids and/or for literature classes I teach.

Here are my reviews so far:

There have been some really, really good ones in the first half of 2011. My Top 5 (not in any particular order) are:

My Name Is Mary Sutter (Robin Oliveira)
Bloodroot (Amy Greene)
March (Geraldine Brooks)
Remains of the Day (Kazuo Ishiguro)
Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)

There are some other contenders for the Top 10 list among the books I've read so far this year, but perhaps those other spots will go to books to be read in the next six months.

What's at the top of your list so far for 2011?

10 comments:

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Ah, what a marvelous half-year! I can't believe that it's 50% over, goodness!

Anonymous said...

The Lantern by Deborah Lawrence will definitely be in my top ten.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Room will definitely be on my Best of 2011 list.

Here's my Sunday Salon: In Which I Travel to Bhutan and the North Pole, with a Stop at a Convenience Store in Brooklyn. I hope you will stop by. Also, don't forget to enter my July Giveaway.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

March sounds like a book I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing your list.

Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

Hoopla said...

Bloodroot
The Sex Lives of Cannibals
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
The Devil's Bones


And I think that's it for now. :D

I really didn't like March. I think this may be the first time that we have disagreed about a book.

Kath said...

Half a year gone! Ack! I haven't done a massive amount of reading this year but a top contender for my Best of 2011 is another Ishiguro book 'Never Let Me Go'. I'm only half way through it but it's brilliant.

Hoopla said...

I just remembered, you didn't like Bridge of Birds, right?

Cindy Swanson said...

For the first time ever, I'm actually keeping track of the books I'm reading, thanks to Goodreads.com. I've read 40 books so far this year; not sure how many I've reviewed.

As for my Top Ten so far this year?

Well, way up on the list would be The Doomsday Book, by Connie Willis; Before I Go to Sleep, by SJ Watson; Kept, by DJ Taylor...you know what? You've inspired me to blog about this!

BTW, I'd love for you to check out a new bloghop I'm hosting, called Bookish Images Monday. Stop by my blog to find out more!
Cindy @ Cindy's Book Club

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Oh, great ideas! And Sarah--I didn't read Bridge of Birds yet.

Anonymous said...

Well, for the longest time, my favorite read of the year was Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, but then the other day I finished a book that knocked Hillenbrand's book off its perch: The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Both, though, are absolutely worth reading.