Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Sunday Salon: July in Review

Books Read in July
The Little Giant of Aberdeen County: LOVED
The Wednesday Sisters: Nah.
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot: Fabulous
Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne: Pretty good.
The Secret Daughter: LOVED!

Read in May/June but Reviewed Finally in July
Climbing the Stairs: enjoyable!
A Room with a View: lovely
Nanny Returns: Nope.
My Name Is Mary Sutter: Read it, NOW!

Favorite Book of the Month
Oh boy. Must I pick? Secret Daughter, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, and The Little Giant of Aberdeen County were all fantastic. I can't choose.

Mid-Year Review
See my favorite books of the year thus far!

Currently Reading
Shadow Tag by Louise Erdrich. Dark and disturbing thus far.

Added to My Ever-Growing TBR List
*Dry Grass of August by Anna Jean Mayhew
*Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton (reviewed at Redlady's Reading Room)
*Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
*Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
*The Soldier's Wife by Margaret Leroy (reviewed at Polishing Mud Balls)
* The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht

Books-to-Movies Watched
Eat, Pray, Love. B-o-r-i-n-g. Watched the movie before I read the book; therefore, crossed the book off my TBR list.

Coming Up
How To Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas Foster
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (re-read)
The German Woman by Paul Griner
The Queen's Daughter by Susan Coventry
Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore
The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain
The Judas Field by Howard Bahr

Top 3 Most Visited Reviews This Month on SmallWorld Reads
Snowflower and the Secret Fan
Frankenstein
The Postmistress

Thanks to the Top 3 Referring Blogs
Rebecca Reads
Semicolon
Cindy's Book Club

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you are liking the Louise Erdrich book, try A PLAGUE OF DOVES. Book club was split on it, but I loved it.

Also, EAT PRAY LOVE was a MUCH better book than a movie. Really.

Glad to hear another person liked Henrietta Lacks. I haven't read it yet but am going to pick it in October, when it's my turn to choose for book club.
Carrie

eahunter said...

So Justus's mom gave me EAT PRAY LOVE to read a while back. I hadn't heard anything that sounded appealing to me. Sure enough, I only read a chapter or so. She seemed a little too egocentric and self-absorbed for me :)
PS Have not read much this year, and therefore haven't found anything to assign to Justus per our annual book exchange contract. My one rule was fiction, but I'm letting him get by with Augustine's CONFESSIONS this year. Got some good ideas for him- Thanks!