Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Sunday Salon: Old Year, New Year

While I'm particularly bad about sticking to challenges and resolutions, I do like the idea of a fresh start. I like to wipe away my "Books Read and Reviewed" of the past year on my sidebar and file it away with older years. I like to make my list of favorites and count all the books I've read. There is something tremendously gratifying in all that.

Here, by the way, is my Year of Reading, 2009. And here are the past few years:
2008 Books Read and Reviewed
2007 Books Read and Reviewed
2006 Books Read and Reviewed

I read fewer books this year than I normally do. I don't really know how to explain that, although I do remember spending three entire weeks on the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo!

I crossed 22 books off my Ever-Growing TBR list and added 21, so I guess I about broke even. For whatever reason—lethargy, lack of time, addiction to Facebook—I participated much less this year in various groups: The Sunday Salon, Weekly Geeks, the Book Review Carnival, and Sunday Scribblings. I think I linked up to Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books nearly every week. Of all the above, I wish I were more dedicated to Sunday Scribblings. Below are the topics I managed to play along with this year—a measly nine out of 52 weeks:
Phantoms and Shadows
Lost
Art
Regrets
Dear Past Me, Dear Present Me
Aging
Vision
Toys
First Kiss

And so that's 2009. I do actually have a goal for 2010. I'd like to re-read a few of my old favorites. I'm really not a re-reader, but sometimes I just really want to revisit old friends. I wonder, too, if some of the books I remember so fondly will remain favorites. That is one possibility that keeps me from re-reading: I'm afraid I won't love a book 10 or 20 years later. (The other, of course, is that there are just so many books out there that I haven't read yet.)

So there we have it: More writing. Some re-reads. And, of course, more reading. (And perhaps a little less time on Facebook would help...)

Happy New Year to you all! May you find time to read and a year full of excellent books.

5 comments:

Book Dilettante said...

I joined a 2010 reading challenge, the Flashback Reading Challenge, to re-read old favorites. Hope you stop by my Sunday Salon.

Literary Feline said...

There is something refreshing about starting anew at the beginning of each year, isn't there?

Those door stopper books do take time to get through. But it sure feels great when we finish them!

I wish you the best of luck with your goals for this year. Have a great week!

Leah Courtney said...

You sound like me adding to my list faster than I can read what is on it! I like to start fresh each year too. :-)

wisteria said...

Yes, I gave up my farm on Facebook. LOL

I know what you mean about rereading something and wondering if it will mean as much to you the second time. There are several that come to mind that I would love to test this theory out on. Especially books from way back when. No, I won't tell you how way back when means in actual years. Ha ha.

crochet lady said...

Happy New Year! I always appreciate your insight on good reads.