Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Sunday Salon: Life Books Challenge

There are a lot of things I could be doing on this rainy summer day. I could be napping or reading or peeling off wallpaper in the kitchen. Instead, I've finished something I've had in mind for some time now: I've created a Reading Challenge. I figure now that everyone is done with the 24-Hour Read-a-thon over at The Hidden Side of the Leaf, it's time for something new.


And so I've created the Life Books Challenge. It's something I've been mulling over for awhile—how certain books capture an element of our lives that somehow add definition. Serendipitous books. Books that hold memories that are part of who we are. I hope some of you will join my challenge. It's the first one I've created, and it may be a colossal failure; but I'd venture to guess other voracious readers can relate. Intrigued? Click on the link above to read more about the challenge and to join and send me some Sunday Salon love. Here's my own list for the challenge.

In other reading news, I finished and reviewed two books this week: the astounding I Have Lived a Thousand Years and the disappointing A Beginning, a Muddle, and an End. I am over halfway through Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth, and I am absolutely blown away. Lahiri is a master of short story. I love every single thing about this collection except that I want each story to be a novel. More on this next week.

Until then, happy weekend! And come join my challenge!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful idea. I'll put the button on my blog. I am going to have to give my list a lot of thought. It could be embarassing. Most of them will probably be picture books. :)

Rachael King said...

What a great idea! Oh how I wish I had the time to do this. This is probably my busiest bookiest year and I have taken on too much. But good luck and I will certainly check back for other people's lists!

The Bookworm said...

Great idea for a challenge!
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Julie said...

This is a great idea for a challenge. I don't do challenges, but I will keep an eye out for others' life lists.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I've really enjoyed exploring yours and I'm adding you to bloglines. :)

jessi said...

That is a great idea for a challenge! Let me think about it some; I'll be back later to sign up. I can already think of a few books that define me. :)