Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Way the Crow Flies

This happens at least a couple of times each year: I severely chastise myself for spending days--in this case 10 days--reading a terrible book. This book by Ann-Marie Macdonald was just such a book for me. Nevermind that amazon.com reviewers consistently give it a 5-star rating; I thought it was dreadful. Macdonald's writing is fine; she's a good storyteller. But the subject matters are horrible (child murder, abuse, war crimes, etc.) and kept getting worse and worse throughout the novel. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

I thought I loved her book Fall on Your Knees, but when I looked back to read my review, I saw that I also likened this previous novel to a train wreck! I hope I remember, next time I see an Ann-marie Macdonald novel that gets a good review, that we simply don't mesh.

No comments: