Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Never-ending Memoir of Jayber Crow

April 27, 2008


The Sunday Salon.com

Yes, I am still reading Wendell Berry's Jayber Crow. I am quite certain that this is my third week in the mind of Jayber Crow, and I am barely halfway through. I know I am not giving Berry the careful reading he deserves. He is obviously a superb writer. He is my favorite kind of writer: poetic and lyrical, with a careful ear for language. Nearly every page has a liberal dose of breathtaking wisdom. But I'm just so sleepy at night when I finally have a chance to begin reading, and I'm afraid Berry's simple profundity is overtaxing my weary brain. It's been one of those months.

I did manage to review a couple of children's books this week: three titles by Barefoot Books and a picture book called Boston Tea Party.

Tomorrow is my last American Literature class at our co-op. We'll finish discussing John Knowles' A Separate Peace, which I've been re-reading over the past two weeks. I've thoroughly enjoyed teaching this class and revisiting these eight classic novels (as well as poetry, short story, and drama) has been wonderful. Some I hadn't read myself since college, and reading with teaching in mind adds another whole dimension to the experience. In spite of how much I've loved teaching the class, I am tremendously glad that it'll be over after tomorrow! Now I can return to my regularly scheduled voracious reading.

Last week I posted the most recent books added to my TBR list. This week I'll post the ones that have been on my list the longest--the first page of the list. But first, here are the books I've added this week. I'm trying to get better about recording where I originally saw the book reviewed; my apologies to those I forget to record:

Confessions of a Common Reader by Anne Fadiman (reviewed by Literary Feline)
Three Cups of Tea by G. Mortenson
Trauma and Ghost Town by P. McGrath
Papua New Guinea: Notes from a Spinning Planet by M. Carlson (reviewed by Clean Reads)

And back to the beginning of the TBR list. Some of these have been on here so long, I have no idea why I added them in the first place. If you have something to say about any of them, please do! Perhaps it'll renew my interest in some of them, as I tend to gravitate more toward more recent additions to the TBR list:

Aprons on a Clothesline by T. DePree
Mater Biscuit by J. Cannon
Queen of the Big Time by A. Trigiani
Winter Seeking by V. Wright
Minding the South by J. Reed
Sweet Potato Queen by J. Browne
Mad Girls in Love by M. West
Little Altars Everywhere by R. Wells
Living End by L. Samson
All Good Gifts by K. Morgan
Last Storyteller by D. Noble
The Departed by K. Mackel
Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote
Breakfast at Tiffany's by Capote
Summerland by M. Cabon
Short Guide to a Happy Life by A. Quindlen
Mariner's Compass by E. Fowler
God Is the Gospel by J. Piper
Heaven by R. Alcorn
Family Nobody Wanted by Doss
Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson
Confederate in the Attic
Stop Dressing Your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank by Celia Rivenbark

Thus ends page one.

Post A Comment!.....


Comments

Monday, April 28, 2008 - Great List

Posted by Anonymous (72.85.3.234)

Thanks for posting on Berry. I love his writing as well, but like you, sometimes I get bogged down in him.

Thanks, too, for the list of reads and for the comment on my blog.
Andi Lit

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Monday, April 28, 2008 - Aprons on a Clothesline

Posted by Anonymous (69.129.110.34)

I loved this series. I read it a while ago-- before I had a blog or was writing reviews but I really enjoyed it. I recall that I liked Aprons even better than the first two.(I think) ;)

Amy
http://readingtoolate.net

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Anonymous (72.160.107.63)

Hey,

Could you suggest some good books to read to a 4 or 5 year old? I must have read a 1000 or 2000 books, and I'm running out of ideas. I'm also getting tired of just pulling a bunch off the library shelf and hoping some of them are good. Maybe some good, but basic, little chapter books?

Christina from Oregon

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by SmallWorld (24.151.178.103)

Christina:
I would LOVE to suggest books for kids! Give me a day or so and I'll have a post!

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by JenIG (67.72.98.46)

ok, that last title just made me laugh. but i have to sadly admit... a book like that is needed nowadays

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, May 3, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by Margaret (68.42.29.163)

You asked for comments on the books on your list. I read Little Altars Everywhere years ago and thought it was a terrible book. All the worst aspects of contemporary fiction: bleak with no redeeming value. As I said it was a long time ago, but I still remember hating it. Check out some of the 1-star reviews on Amazon. I know that's not always the best gauge of quality, but...

Permanent Link Edit Delete

Saturday, May 3, 2008 - Untitled Comment

Posted by SmallWorld (24.151.178.103)

Margaret: thanks--I'll cross that one off my list!

No comments: