Thursday, August 28, 2008

Weekly Geeks #14: Bookish Photos

This week's Weekly Geeks over at The Hidden Side of a Leaf asks for "bookish photos" and I've got just the thing. Actually, I have a couple of boxes' worth, but I'll just feature a few here.

When I was in upstate New York earlier this month, one of my jobs, as my parents prepare to sell their house, was to go through boxes in the attic. And of course boxes-in-the-attic = books. I couldn't part with at least a few dozen books, even some that weren't mine. I just liked them. Most of my four brothers had already gone through the attic, so what was left would either go to the Salvation Army or to me.

Here's just a sampling of what came home with me.

I took a bunch of old storybooks like this. My kids are really past these kinds of books, but they are so old and colorful. I just love them. Old books make great decor.

How much do I love this Great Stories of the Bible? It's not such a pretty book on the outside, but … it's special because of what's on the inside. The inscription indicates that my grandparents gave it to my Dad in 1931, when he was six years old. And I love that my father practiced his own signature, too. I bet my grandmother wasn't too happy about him writing in the book. My grandmother often gave books to us kids as gifts. I have several nice hardback books with her inscription and also dated, which I love. I always forget to do that myself.

The next two sets of books are some of my own favorites from my early childhood. I was the youngest of five children, and I'm sure these books had all been well-loved before I came around. My mother read to me for countless hours, and I have sweet memories of looking at the pictures in these books while she read. I am always aware of what a legacy my parents and grandparents bestowed upon us children with their gift of shelves full of books and time spent reading aloud.

The Brave Little Tailor, Emmett Kelly as Willie the Clown, When I Grow Up, and A Little Golden Book of Manners: four of my favorite Little Golden Books.

And a few more of my childhood companions. The stories about the chipmunks Chap and Chirpy was for sure my favorite.

"He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. By study, by reading, by thinking, one may innocently divert and pleasantly entertain himself, as in all weathers, as in all fortunes." —Isaac Barrow

6 comments:

Laura said...

We had #65 Bedtime Stories, too! I'd forgotten about it until I saw your picture - my brother and I loved that book and read it to tatters.

What wonderful treasures you found!

Laura said...

That should be "365" !

Anonymous said...

I would love to go through my parents collection at some point and get all of the picture books that I loved and adored!

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Those are some amazing finds you have. Books are wonderful family heirlooms to keep.

Lidian said...

Those are wonderful to have - I adore old books and take some from the old homestead (with permission of course!) whenever I visit!

Anonymous said...

Gosh that's cool! I have an old (1800s) beekeeping book that's signed like that. It amazes me the wisdom that is in that book is now so pertinent with the CCD. I bet you feel the same with your parents books!

Claudia at Denver Cereal