Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Anticipating in 2021...

Perusing the lists of new releases for the first half of 2021 made me want to forego all my daily tasks and just read. I mean, basically, that's what I want to do all day, every day. Here are some of the new releases I am looking forward to most.




Dusk, Night, Dawn by Anne Lamott: I adore Lamott and look forward to pondering some of the big questions through her thoughtful, wise, and witty lens. 


Whereabouts by Jhumpa Lahiri. Lahiri never disappoints. The book's premise is intriguing to me, with a theme of solitude and isolation. I have a feeling I might have to be in a certain mood to really dive into this one.

A Swim in the Pond in the Rain: In Which Four Russians Give a Master Class on Writing, Reading, and Life by George Saunders. Through short stories by Chekhov, Turgenev, Tolstoy, and Gogol, writer and Syracuse University professor explores what makes great short stories work. This is a perfect one for my writing life! 


The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris.  This debut novel sounds part thriller, part social commentary. I'm probably most excited about this one!

The Four Winds by Kristin Hannah. If this one is as fantastic as The Great Alone and The Nightingale, I know I'll be in for an epic journey—this time in Texas during the Great Depression.



The Children's Blizzard by Melanie Benjamin. 1888 in the Dakota Territory: a freak blizzard comes without warning just as school is dismissing for the day. I have this one downloaded on my Kindle already and can't wait to read it! 

Mother May I by Joshilyn Jackson. I'm about 50/50 with Jackson: sometimes I love her, sometimes I want to throw the book across the room. This one sounds like it could go either way: a rags-to-riches story, a mother who will do anything to protect her child, a witch in the window.... We'll see!


Caul Baby by Morgan Jenkins. This debut novel sounds fresh, unique, and full of mystery. I'm looking forward to reading Hallow's story already!

If I Disappear by Eliza Jane Brazier. I do love thrillers mixed in with my heavier reads! Listening to true crime podcasts are one of my guilty pleasures, and this novel dives into the world of crime within a crime podcaster's own life. 


The Wife Upstairs by Rachel Hawkins. A new telling of the triangle of Jane Eyre, Mr. Rochester, and Bertha, the wife in the attic? Yes, please. My favorite classic novel as a psychological thriller in 2021. Can't wait!

 

A Town Called Solace by Mary Lawson. I loved Lawson's Crow Lake; she is a wonderful storyteller and a master at crafting beautiful prose. This one sounds like a journey into the heart of a family, from crisis to redemption.

What are you most looking forward to? I'm looking forward to seeing what others are anticipating on Top Ten Tuesday at Artsy Reader. I'm sure I'll be adding more to my list!

6 comments:

Susan said...

Great list! I've read two of these - THE FOUR WINDS and THE CHILDREN'S BLIZZARD. THE FOUR WINDS isn't my favorite Hannah novel, but it is compelling. Not as good as THE NIGHTINGALE and THE GREAT ALONE, in my opinion, but still a sweeping, memorable book. THE CHILDREN'S BLIZZARD is intriguing as well.

A TOWN CALLED SOLACE is one I haven't heard of before. I'm going to take a closer look at it for sure.

Happy TTT!

Lydia said...

I'm sure intrigued by Whereabouts.

My post.

Literary Feline said...

It's been ages since I last read anything by Jhumpa Lahiri. Her new novel sounds really good. The Wife Upstairs is one I am really looking forward to as well. I hope you get a chance to read all of these!

Christopher @ Plucked from the Stacks said...

I didn't realize George Saunders had a new book coming out, but now I can't wait to read that one!

Shooting Stars Mag said...

I also want to read If I Disappear and The Other Black Girl! so many great books this year.

-Lauren
www.shootingstarsmag.net

Lectrice Vorace said...

*adds The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris to list of books to read*