Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Sunday Salon: October in Review

Books Read in October
The Tea-Olive Birdwatching Society: From my review: "I want to either love a book club book, or I want to hate it. Either way makes for great discussion. But this one? I don't really have a lot to say about it, certainly nothing passionate."
The Violets of March: From my review: "This is just a lovely little book with all the right ingredients: family secrets, a mystery, romance, and great writing."
True Sisters: From my review: "Sandra Dallas has once again written a fascinating tale woven around a unique piece of American history."
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. (Multiple re-read.)
The Boy Who Stole the Leopard's Spots by Tamar Myers. (Not yet reviewed.)
Frankenstein. (Abridged version with 11-year-old.)

Best Book of the Month:
I really enjoyed both The Violets of March and True Sisters, but Violets wins by a bit.

Currently Reading
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson (LOVE!)
Ethan Frome (multiple re-read, teaching for American Lit class)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (re-read, teaching for literature circle class)

Added to My Ever-Growing TBR List 
Years of Grace by Margaret Ayer Barnes 
Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio
The Bungalow by Sarah Jio.
Deadline by Randy Alcorn
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker
Girlchild by Tupelo Hassman
The Rebel Wife by Taylor Folite
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton.
What Alice Forgot by Liane Mortiarty. 

No comments: