Saturday, March 10, 2012

Book Review: The Escape Artist

For some people it's Nicholas Sparks or Jodi Picoult, but Diane Chamberlain is my guilty pleasure. Her books are full of coincidences and crazy events, but somehow I just love them. The Escape Artist is my third Chamberlain novel. I loved The Midwife's Confession and The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes (see, even the titles are telltale cheese), and I liked this one just as well. They're just good, satisfying tales of improbable events.

The Escape Artist tells the tale of Susanna Miller, who takes her baby and runs when she loses custody of him to her ex-husband and his new wife. She travels across the country to reinvent herself. Of course she is always terrified that she'll be caught, but she also misses her boyfriend. She eventually meets another guy and tries to start a new life, but of course the story can't be as simple as that.

I can't help it. I'm occasionally a sucker for total drama, and somehow Diane Chamberlain sucks me in every time. Seriously, if you need books that you can't put down, are full of a range of coincidences that you somehow don't even roll your eyes at, and have these fantastic characters, get a stack of Chamberlain's novels. You might feel a little sheepish, but it'll be worth it.

No comments: