- The Sex Lives of Cannibals by Maarten Troost: Travelogue. Bored of life in America and anxious to make a difference in the world and have an adventure in the process. Maarten and his partner head off to the remote island of Tarawa in the South Pacific.
- An Atlas of Impossible Longing by Anuradha Roy. Multigenerational story of a family in India.
- Room by Emma Donoghue. I knew this one would have to be good; it's on everyone's must-read list. It was.
- The Only True Genius in the Family by Jennie Nash. What does it mean to be a genius? Claire has lived under the shadow of her photographer-father's famous genius for her whole life. Could she possibly be one, too?
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Re-read for the British Lit class I teach.
Best Book of January
Room. Absolutely fantastic.
New Year Updates
• Best of 2011 (and links to all my reviews)
• Updated TBR List
Books Read Aloud (with 11-year-old)
The Battle for the Castle by Elizabeth Winthrop
Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze by Elizabeth Foreman Lewis
Added to My Ever-Growing TBR List
- The Evolution of Adam by Peter Enns
- Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
- When She Woke by Hillary Jordan
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
- The Reservoir by John Milliken Thompson
- The Moonflower Vine by Jetta Carleton
- When We Were Strangers by Pamela Schoenewalt
- How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway
- The Violets of March by Sarah Jio
- Mrs. Tom Thumb by Melanie Benjamin
- The Girl in the Italian Bakery by Kenneth Tingle
The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien