Friday, December 31, 2010

Book Review: Tell Me About Orchard Hollow

I had absolutely nothing new to read and the library was closed for Christmas, so I borrowed this book by Lin Stepp from my parents' library stack. The novel is one in a series that takes place in the next town over from where I live, at the foothills of the Smoky Mountains.

It was cheesy, and I loved it. It's one of the most often told story lines of all: innocent girl marries bad man who cheats, girl meets good man, girl and good man fall in love. I didn't know I was such a sucker for a romance novel. I needed one in my life, I guess. It was fun reading a novel that takes place in my county. The author lives in Knoxville and teaches at a nearby college, so I guess she knows the area well. Her love of our beautiful place is evident.

There isn't anything award-winning about this novel. It's kinda silly and trite and really sweet, and it was exactly what I needed to read over Christmas weekend. I will probably even pick up the rest of her Smoky Mountain series at some point. If you live near the Smokies, you'll probably like it. If you like happily-ever-after books, you'll probably like it. If you're looking for great writing and profound moments, skip it.

No comments: