Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Sunday Salon: Catching Up

These past two months I gotten way behind on posting reviews, but I'm nearly caught up now. I've hit some really excellent books this fall. Click on the titles for my reviews:

Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian ****
Day After Night by Anita Diamant ****
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros****
A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly Cleary ****
Buster Midnight's Cafe and The Persian Pickle Club, both by Sandra Dallas***
The Outcast by Sadie Jones ***
The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst ***
New Stories from the South, edited by ZZ Packer **

Next up, I'm hoping to teach my next literature circle for middle-schoolers focusing on the black experience in America. So far we're considering Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry; Let the Circle Be Unbroken; Bud, Not Buddy; and Sounder. I'd welcome any suggestions! This would be for 6th-8th graders.

2 comments:

gautami tripathy said...

I loved The Outcast very much!

Sunday Salon: Post Diwali

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

What about one of the Sharon Flake books? And a biography or something else in nonfiction? I love some of the beautiful children's picture books about the black experience, like the one called ...was a Jazz... Oh dear, can't think of the exact title. Martin's Big Words. Poetry, maybe.