Sunday, June 3, 2007

Book Review: The Innocent Man

June 3, 2007

Subtitled "Murder and Injustice in a Small Town", this nonfiction book by John Grisham was the fascinating chronicle of how two guys in a small town in Oklahoma were wrongly convicted of a murder without a shred of evidence. The book focuses on Ron Williamson, the suspect who was ultimately sent to death row. The story is just unbelievable; sadly, it's a true story of one man's wasted life. I have read most of Grisham's novels, and most I find good for plot reading but predictable and full of unreal dialogue. I loved his memoir The Painted House and thought that his first novel, A Time to Kill, was exceptional. But I have to give Grisham more respect after reading The Innocent Man. His writing and research are excellent, and though this is nonfiction, it reads like a great crime story. I'm thinking Grisham needs to pursue writing nonfiction a little more often...

No comments: