Sunday, May 20, 2007

Book Review: The Thirteenth Tale

May 20, 2007

Every time I’d go to the library, this book would be checked out—and with good reason. Diana Setterfield is a master storyteller. This was an absolutely riveting mystery/thriller/ghost story. This is the kind of book that I really thought about after I finished it. Driving for hours through the Bugaboo-induced smokiness of I75 on our way to Orlando, I replayed the whole book in my head, trying to figure out how all the pieces joined together. The story is multi-layered, with the primary being the true story of famous author Vida Winter as she reveals it to the amateur biographer/narrator. Many other tales unfold in the process, making this a perfect book for a 10-hour car trip when one has the luxury of doing nothing but reading and tossing snacks to the kids in the back. There is hardly anything more luxurious than a good book on vacation.

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thanks for sending me here - now I can't wait until next Sunday, when I'd planned to start it! Sounds like something I'll enjoy.